Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Liquid Hand Soap Basil Scent | Natural Cleaning Product Review

Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Liquid Hand Soap, Basil Scent, 12.5 fluid ounces, is their newest scent, described on their website as “cool and crisp”, an herb “known for its uncanny ability to ease the nerves and perk up the senses”.

Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Hand Soap also comes in some other wonderful aromatherapeutic scents such as: Lavender, Lemon Verbena, Geranium, Baby Blossom, Snap Pea, and scent-free; so you are sure to find one that you love!

This luscious, biodegradable hand soap contains aloe vera gel, olive oil, and a unique blend of natural essential oils. It contains nothing that could cause harsh fumes, no parabens, no solvents, no petroleum distillates, no bleach, no phosphates, and has not been tested on animals.

Mrs. Meyer’s company website states that “most of our products have a near neutral pH that makes them safe for skin contact”. In fact, they recommend that you could use this hand soap on your entire body if you wanted.

FYI
There really is a Mrs. Meyer! She is retired now, her daughter started and named the company in honor of her mother, who raised 9 children and has been cleaning her own home now for over 40 years—so she knows a thing or two about cleaning!

Price
12.5 liquid ounce pump bottle for 3.99—it is a little steep in my estimation.

Ingredients
• Deionized Water
• Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
• Sodium Laureth Sulfate *
• Glycerin
• Lauramide DEA *
• Essential Oils of Basil, Parsley & Black Pepper
• Essential Oils of Eucalyptus Golbus Leaf & Cedarwood Bark
• Fragrance
• Cocamidopropyl Betaine *
• Aloe Barbadensis Gel
• Olive Oil
• Isostearimidopropyl Morpholine Lactate
• Polyquaternium 7
• Sodium Benzoate
• Potassium Sorbate
• Tetrasodium EDTA
• Sodium Chloride
• Citric Acid

I appreciate that the Mrs. Meyer’s is transparent with their ingredients, and most of their ingredients have great or very low toxicity ratings, however the few that are noted with an asterisk have a moderate toxicity rating, due to possibility of contaminates with serious health risks. Mrs. Meyer’s Company states on their site that they are strictly enforcing the monitoring of their ingredients to minimize any contaminates.

In regards to sodium laureth sulfate or SLES, Mrs. Meyer’s website states that it has “a long history of safe use and high-performance cleaning” and that "it is milder on skin than SLS", a close chemical “cousin”.

Although I agree that SLES is easier on the skin than SLS, I have to disagree that is has “a long history of safe use”. Certainly, it has been used extensively in cosmetics and personal products, but the data gap of real science to test the true safety is huge, according to Skin Deep the Cosmetic Safety Database of the Environmental Working Group.

I would like to see that change. I hate using ingredients for myself and my family that are untested, even if in miniscule amounts!

My Take Using Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Liquid Hand Soap, Basil Scent
I love the aroma of this new basil-scented Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day soap. It was therapeutic and invigorating; that is particularly important to me in the kitchen, after cleaning up something dirty and messy! And a big plus, since Mrs. Meyer’s Company uses real essential oils for their scents, the aroma stays around for a really long time. I love that!!

This natural cleaning product is a great choice for your hand soap at the kitchen sink or in the bathroom. I may criticize various aspects of the natural cleaning products that I review, but I HIGHLY recommend them all over ANY non-green or not natural cleaning product.

Summary
BIG Thumbs Up!
Nice new scent! Works great. Thumbs on the Side--for some questionable ingredients.

Enjoy all your green cleaning with natural cleaning products like Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Basil-scented Hand Soap! --Green Keen aka Pamela Palmer

6 comments:

  1. Dear Pam,

    I was wondering if you could give me some ideas of environmentally friendly cleaning materials that I can use outside to clean up the patio and patio furniture. Do you have any ideas? I have many plants around and I am petrified over using a product that could splash up and kill a spot of groundcover or other plant. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you review air fresheners? I'l love to hear what you think about these products. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am constantly looking for "green" products, (including food, personal care products, and cleaning agents). I usually have a difficult time finding a lot of "green" products. I stumbled across a great book titled, "The Lazy Environmentalist on a Budget," by Josh Dorfman that has been a great resource in helping me find companies that sell inexpensive "green Products."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous:

    Biokleen Spray and Wipe All-purpose Cleaner is safe for cleaning around plants. You can find it at Our Green House (see right sidebar for link).
    Sorry, I took so long getting back to you...Life is Busy! Take Care, Green Keen aka Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anonymous, also:

    I would love to review green air cleaners! Great idea, that will be an upcoming post.

    Take Care, Green Keen aka Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anonymous III,

    Sounds like a great book... I am totally into green and cheap. Let's practice our creativity to use what we already have in news ways--a lesson learned from our ancestors, who used everything for something!!

    Signing off for tonight, Green Keen aka Pam :)

    ReplyDelete