Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Arm & Hammer's Baking Soda | Natural Cleaning Product Review

Arm & Hammer's Baking Soda is a Natural Cleaning Product and as they say on their box, "America's #1 Trusted Baking Soda Brand". This little, yellow-orange box has found its "home in every home"!

Baking Soda, (Sodium Bicarbonate or Bicarbonate of Soda), is powdered form of a natural mineral, called nahcolite, which works primarily as an acid neutralizer. It also balances the pH of water.

Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
Arm & Hammer Brand name is owned by the Church & Dwight Co. Inc. of Princeton, NJ has been selling their natural cleaning product, baking soda, for over 155 years. On their website they state that baking soda can be used as a substitute for many harsh chemicals and baking soda is "pure, versatile, effective, environmentally safe, and economical."

Price
1 lb. box of Arm & Hammer's baking soda retails for often slightly less than 1.00 and Walmart sells large 4 lb. bags for 2.12 !

Uses
Its uses are incredibly diverse: including household, natural cleaning and scrubbing, to putting out fires, cleaning car battery acid build-up, and relieving bee stings and heartburn.

As a laundry booster, when added to water, baking soda stabilizes the pH level, enhancing the detergent’s effectiveness.

For scrubbing and scouring, make a paste with a small amount of water and baking soda on a sponge.

See this link for a list of how to baking soda around the house!

My Natural Cleaning Experience Using Arm & Hammer's Baking Soda
I use baking soda every day! I have a recycled plastic shaker (from a Parmesan cheese container, learned that from another blogger!) on my kitchen sink and in my bathrooms for scrubbing. It works well without nasty chemicals like found in other scouring powders.

I sometimes brush my teeth with it, if I run out of toothpaste. (Tastes a little yukky, but it is healthy and mildly abrasive against plaque.)

I add it to my homemade laundry and dishwasher detergents (See recipes below)

Summary
Big Thumbs Up! Like white vinegar, baking soda should be a natural cleaning product staple in every home for inexpensive natural cleaning. Arm & Hammer's Baking Soda has been just that, for 155 years of homemaking!

Homemaking Tips

Recipe for Dry Laundry Detergent
I make my own dry laundry detergent, once in awhile, I still buy a natural, biodegradable detergent--but I have found making my own is very simple. I perused some how-to forums and consolidated a few different recipes; here is mine:

6 cups Borax
6 cups Baking Soda
3 cups Washing Soda
6 bars natural soap, grated in blender

This makes about 9 lbs. which I keep in a reusable plastic container by the washer with a scooper and directions for the family to use. 1/4 cup scoop is all you need.

I also add 1/2 cup white vinegar in rinse cycle (in a reusable "Downy" ball). No need for expensive fabric softeners (with toxic chemicals).

You can also add a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil to the detergent if you want.

This will last my family of 4 for approximately 5 to 6 months! Easy and Cheap and NATURAL!


Recipe for Dry Dishwasher Detergent
Same as above minus the Washing Soda, which I found can be reactive with minerals in the water.

I use only an 1/8 cup in the Dishwasher, adding a 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle.
My dishes, glasses, and silverware come out sparkling.

(Note: I normally try to wash my dishes by hand using natural cleaning products, you can see my article on that here.) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment